The original grandeur of Sioux City’s magnificent 2,600-seat Orpheum Theatre has been recreated through restoration/renovation efforts led by FEH DESIGN. Built in 1927 as part of the Orpheum vaudeville touring circuit, the theatre has been redesigned for use as a multi-functional house. Seating has been re-spaced for additional comfort and ornamental plaster work, materials, finishes, colors and character were restored to their original condition within the parameters of modern function. Restoration or replacement of the theatre’s 300 light fixtures included a 30-foot cut-crystal main chandelier. Work also enhanced the existing air plenum HVAC system with the use of a geothermal well. Other efforts provided handicapped access to public and performance areas. FEH also engineered the replacement of 17 feet of concrete balcony cut away when the theatre was converted to a twin cinema in the 1970’s and the recreation of original theatre loges.
With attention to historic detail, FEH collaborated with Ray Shepardson, one of the nation’s leading authorities on theatre restoration. Realizing the potential beauty of the restored theatre palace, many local contractors and national artisans were enthusiastic to be part of this project.
MEP ENGINEER West Plains Engineering / THEATRE CONSULTANT Ray Shepardson / GENERAL CONSTRACTOR Orpheum Preservation Group / PHOTOGRAPHY George Lindblade